White and slightly raised lump under the skin on the palm. What does it indicate?

Dermatologist
Question
My son has what looks like a small grain of rice under the skin on the palm of his hand. It is white and slightly raised. It hurts to push or squeeze. There is redness around the area. It doesn't seem to be a splinter. We noticed it this morning. He was sick last week with a cold - sore throat, fever, mild cough, runny nose. Yesterday he started swimming in the municipal pool.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. It is appearing like a bacterial infection following injury. Can you please upload a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and a better line of management. Waiting for your response, Thank you

Follow-up: White and slightly raised lump under the skin on the palm. What does it indicate? 14 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX - thank you for your response I have been treating it with Chlorosig (chloramphenicol) for 24 hours with no effect. It is not worse or better. It is a cream for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis; but my doctor said it is useful for any kind of small infection. He does not remember having any injury to that part of his body recently. Please see photo attached. The rest of his hand does not appear wounded in any way ... the shadow on his palm is a trick of the light. I have some Bactroban (muripocin) if you think that may help. I look forward to your advice. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the follow up and sorry for delay in reply. It is looking like a bacterial infection only. He might have got some minor unnoticed injury. Mupirocine is much better than chloramphenicol, please apply it thrice daily. There is nothing to worry he will get relief in 3 to 4 days. If there is increase in pain or redness, oral antibiotics may be required. Let me know if you have other doubts. Thank you