Whit crusted scab on knee. How to get rid of it?

I have a white crusted scab on my knee that will not go away
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

The reason for the scab persisting and remaining whitish, maybe due to moisture in it. Normally the color of scab is reddish brown, when it is exposed to water or due to excess application of ointment it will turn to white color.

You should dry the area with a soft cloth and leave it exposed to air. The moist scab is usually soft and may lift away from the skin, causing additional damage to the underlying cells. As the moisture evaporates, the scab will harden and return to its normal appearance. Removing the soft white scab can cause the healing process to start over, increasing the overall healing period.

The other causes for white scab could be due to viral skin condition or infection. If it persists even after drying the area, you will need to get it examined by a Dermatologist.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.