While taking progyluton get regular periods. Facing problem to have periods without progyluton. Remedy?

Hello, I am 52. Whenever I an on progyluton, I get regular periods. When I am not on it, again no menses. Does this mean that no matter how old your are, even at 70, you will continue menstruating, as long as you are on Progyluton?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
withdrawal bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Proglyton is a hormone. Whenever you take it there is withdrawal bleeding. You must be menopausal. The drug should not be continued long term. Im assuming that you were on the drug for menopausal symptoms. But if you have achieved menopause there is no need to take the drug. Long term use of the drug has its own complications like endometrial cancer. I suggest that you see the doctor who prescribed the drug to you and wean off of the drug.
Follow-up: While taking progyluton get regular periods. Facing problem to have periods without progyluton. Remedy? 22 hours later
The doctor who prescribed it to me, asked me to stop taking it when I would be comfortable not getting periods. No, I was not having unpleasant menopausal symptoms. My curiosity led me to ask you if I or anyone else too would get period forever by taking these tablets. The flows have seemed normal, not like withdrawal bleeding, if withdrawal bleeding means spots, irregular bleeding etc. Please enlighten me. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stop hormone meds

Detailed Answer:
Withdrawal bleeding means that you get a normal period after taking medications. Yes, this bleeding will continue as long as you take hormonal medications. But taking hormones long term is not advised due to risk of malignancy. The normal age of menopause in a woman is between 48-52. Bleeding after 54, is termed as late menopause. This is a risk factor malignancy. And normally shouldnt be used for more than 3-5 years at a stretch.My advice would be that stop the medication.