While returning from water park child got fever, loss of appetite and drinking water. Given probiotic. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Could my two and a half y/o have a fever after a weekend at the indoor water park?
We spent the weekend at the waterpark and he was in and out of the water for two days. Today on the way home he started to feel hot. His temp now is 101.4. He is sleeping but woke about 1/2 hour ago crying more than usual. He has not eaten since noon but is drinking some water. I gave him some probiotics with a bottle of toddler formula to help hydrate him.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could have infection from water. Give Tylenol.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Yes, the child could have fever after playing in and out in the water park because of getting throat and respiratory tract infections because of spread of infection through water.

For fever, I suggest you to give Tylenol in prescribed dose every 6th or 8th hourly depending on the presence of fever.

Check his body temperature at regular intervals.

Keep on giving oral fluids to maintain hydration and monitor his hydration status by urine output, skin turgor, thirst, and moisture of oral cavity.

Consult the Pediatrician for clinical examination to look for the focus of infection and its specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: While returning from water park child got fever, loss of appetite and drinking water. Given probiotic. Suggest? 10 minutes later
Shouldn't the fever run its course to kill the infection?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examination to look for focus of infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

It is better to know the cause for fever.

If the fever is due to a viral illness, Tylenol for fever, supportive treatment to maintain the hydration of the child, and monitoring of his temperature, hydration, and general condition is required.

And viral illness takes its course and doesn't require any specific drug like antibiotic.

But it is better to look for any focus of bacteria like throat, ear as it requires antibiotic in addition to kill the infection.

Hence I advised you to consult the pediatrician for the clinical examination of the child.

Regards.