While laughing a lot feel pressure on top of head. Cause?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
Hello!!! I have a question!! Why is it that when I laugh a lot I feel a pressure on top of my head?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to increase in intracranial pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

The pressure inside the head is known as intracranial pressure.
It increases normally during some actions like laughing, straining, coughing, etc.

So, whenever you laugh, the intracranial pressure increases and result in feeling of pressure in head.

If it is associated with some abnormal symptoms like dizziness, vomiting, etc., you should seek medical attention.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: While laughing a lot feel pressure on top of head. Cause? 3 minutes later
Well it's only when I laughed n no other simptoms with it!! Why does it increases?

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal mechanism.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing more information.

It is good the you are not suffering from any clinical symptoms associated with pathological rise in intracranial pressure.

Although, it seems to be a normal mechanism, still I would suggest that you should go for a MRI of head and cervical spine to rule out Arnold-Chiari malformation.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further doubts, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: While laughing a lot feel pressure on top of head. Cause? 10 minutes later
I was also diagnose a few months with mild scoliosis, will that had something to do with what I feel?

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scoliosis can be associated with your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Scoliosis can be associated with craniospinal axis disorder like Arnold-chiari malformation.
You should go for posture training exercises.
Bracing(after clinical evaluation), can also be of help in treating scoliosis.

Thanks.