While blowing nose I get squeaky noise in ear. What should be done?

ENT Specialist
I blow my notes i get a squeaky noise in my ear WHICH FOLLOWS ONLY CERTAIN FRQUENCIES ABOVE 440HZ
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later

Thanks for writing the query

There exists a connection between the nose and the middle ear known as Eustachian tube. This tube helps in equalizing the pressure between the middle ear and the inner ear. Any problems related to the tube or the middle and inner ear can induce this sort of noise.

Two things happen over here when you blow the nose:
(i) The Eustachian tube opens up when the pressure behind the nose is increased. Opening of the tube can create this squeaky noise in the ear.
(ii) When the pressure inside the middle ear increases. The increased pressure in the middle ear in turn disturbs the round window membrane (the membrane of the round window serves as a barrier between the middle and inner ear). During increased pressure inside the middle ear there could be minor injury to this round window membrane, which could disrupt the sensitive inner ear nerves thus inducing the squeaky noise or tinnitus.

My advice to you is to avoid forceful blowing of the ear. Consult your doctor for a complete ear and audiological examination, if the symptoms persist or worsen.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon