Ask a Homeopath   »  

Which type of yoga is best for weight reduction?

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
which type of yoga is best for weight reduction
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Let me answer your query in the form of points. Please implement it accordingly.

1. Overweight / Obesity is a chronic condition due to the lifestyle changes we have today.

2. The contributing factors are generally – sedentary lifestyle, bad eating habits, hormonal disturbance and Stress are the main causative factors.

3. Yoga does help in managing weight effectively depending on the cause of the condition. Therefore I need to understand the cause of your overweight in your case and then we can advice the solution more specifically.

4. Yoga practices includes practicing Asanas, Pranayamas, Relaxation techniques, Meditation are helpful. However the type of yoga required will vary based on the person and not on the condition the person is suffering from. So, unless I understand your constitution I will not be able to give specific answers.

5. In general, yoga guidelines for weight management includes the following
a. Be very regular in yoga practice for at least 1 year. This can vary from case to case.
b. Spend at least 45 – 60 minutes for yoga practice every day, preferably 7 days a week.
c. Practice Suryanamaskars or Sun salutations every day in a moderate speed and do not rush. The number of times Sun salutations needs to be practiced starts from 3 per day to maximum 12 per day.
Start the Suryanamaskars from 1 or 2 per day and very gradually increase the number of times based on your comfort zones.
d. Include Pranayamas, Relaxation techniques like Shavasana or Yoga Nidra at the end of the practice every day.
e. Spend at least 10 minutes for meditation, every day.
f. The specific Asanas required for weight loss can be mentioned only after a consultation and assessment.

6. Please look at weight management as process and not as a destination. You need to work on your dietary habits and exercise on a very consistent and regular basis for effective results.

7. In terms of food intake –
a. Do not eat while watching TV.
b. Practice complete awareness while eating, this will prevent over eating.
c. Enjoy every morsel of food, so that over eating is managed.
d. Do not read while having food.
e. Avoid all Junk foods.
f. Preferably stay vegetarian.
g. Drink at least 10 – 12 glasses of water per day.
h. Let there be at least 2 hours gap between your dinner time and sleep time.

8. Manage your stress well, in case if you have. Sleep well... And let the routine be managed very consistently and regularly.

The most important aspect is to learn yoga from a qualified therapist or Consultant. Be cautious about lots of quacks teaching yoga.

I hope to have answered your queries satisfactorily. For any further clarifications, please write back.

With best wishes,

Dr H K Gurudatta