Which type of chair should I use to avoid back pain?

Nov 2013

Pls suggest the type of chair to be used at office. Mine is desk job and is of around 9 hours a day. My office has 2 types of chairs, one is of flat back with slight curves on sides, the other type is of inner curve on bottom half of back.
Currently i dont have any back pain and Iam comfortable with 1st type of chair of flat back. Pls advise which is better on long term basis.
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The lower back has a natural inward curvature, referred to as lumbar lordosis. To accomodate this, it is better to use a chair that has an inner curve. On a longer term, this type of chair should be preferred.

In addition, you should also do lower back extension exercises to prevent any spondylosis or disc bulges, which are common in people, who sit for long durations.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad