Which specialist should I consult for pineal cysts?

who is the leading doctor (s) in Australia in relation to Pineal Cysts?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 days later

This question was passed on to me very late. I wanted to really help you in getting the best Neurosurgeon. Since pineal tumors are mostly asymptomatic and not many neurosurgeons are trained on operating them I could do a bit of research and found few centres / surgeons doing them, but obviously found in large metropolitan. In fact it requires an Endoscopic supracerebellar infratentorial approach to resect the pineal cyst.

I could find one centre doing this technique:
Centre for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, XXXXXXX of Wales Private Hospital,
Sydney, Australia.

Search the local pages and find the co ordinates and speak to them.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Follow-up: Which specialist should I consult for pineal cysts? 1 hour later
Thank you I have seen Dr XXXXXXX Teo at the aforementioned centre. He will not operate until hydrocephalus is present. Why is that a criteria?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 hours later
I guess 'Hydrocephalus' is not real criteria.

It is a logical reason. Being a GP I would like to put in my opinion. Most studies say that the pineal cysts are asymptomatic and even if they grow in size they do no experience deleterious effects. But the person who has the cyst shall keep in his mind and frequently complains of headache, visual disturbances which cannot be explained anatomically. I am not sure what did you complain to Dr XXXXXXX Teo.

Hence the doctors find that the post operative benefits after surgery are marginally impressive. They would like to wait till hydrocephalus sets in. Frequent consultations and monitoring are the key.

If this sounds well and you do not have anymore queries please close the discussion.