Which specialist should I consult for hunchback?

Doctor, my son is 10years old he has “Hunchback “(poor neck and upper back posture)
Kindly advise me what to do? And which kind of doctor can solve this problem?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later

The cause of abnormal upper back and neck posture at this age in your child can be related to either bones or the structures around the bones which maintain bone alignment (like muscles, ligaments, nerves controlling the muscles of the back). Problem with any of these structures will result in abnormal curvature of the spine. With some of these problems child can correct posture when told to do so where as with others he may not be able to correct the posture with his best effort.

For initial evaluation I would recommend you to consult an orthopedician who can then tell you whether you also need to consult a neurologist. Some X rays and scan may be required. The treatment will depend on the cause found after evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I would be happy to answer.

Good luck