Which specialist should I consult for gall bladder stones?

Hi , AS one of my friend has a stone formation in his gall bladder and found by an local physician. Can we know which specialist need to contact in this regard. Is it a Gastroenterologist?? Regards, XXXX
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: general surgeon/surgical gastroenterologist Detailed Answer: Good evening XXXXXXX I am sorry about your friend. He needs to consult a General Surgeon or a Surgical Gastroenterologist for the same. Hope this helps you. Regards,
Follow-up: Which specialist should I consult for gall bladder stones? 2 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Can it be cured through medicine or surgery is a must ??. as per scanning report he has 8mm stone Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: medical management can be tried initially Detailed Answer: Hi, The stone is 8mm. It is a small stone. For this, medicine can be tried initially for 6 months. If there is no improvement, then surgery can be opted. Ursodeoxycholic acid (ursodiol) is routinely used for medical management of gall stones.