Which medicine should I take for fungal infection of nails?

hi, I have a toe fungus under both of my big toes and the toes next to them...
this has been there for years.... what is the best medication to take that doesnt require a perscription... i meant to say under my big toe nails... thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fungal infection of the nails, whether finger or toe, is called tinea unguium or onychomycosis.
There are actually different types and the severity can vary.

There are topical and oral anti fungal medications available but when the infection involves the nails there is usually not enough penetration of the medication into the nail beds if only topical medication is used.
For this reason, oral medication is normally suggested and the topical medication can be added to that.

The main medications would be lamisil taken at 250 mg once a day for 12 weeks or sporanox 200mg once daily for 12 weeks. Only one of these is required, they are both effective.
There is a topical solution called ciclopirox that is applied once daily (has to stay for at least 8 hrs with no washing off).
These medications can be purchased on online pharmacies if you are unable to obtain a prescription.

It is always best though, to be assessed before taking any medication.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions