Which medicine is best to treat seizures - Valproate and Epilepsin or Carbin SR 200 or Selzic ?

Hello Sir my fiance age- 22 weight- 56kg. in MRI scan opinion Focal lesion in the left posterior parietal lobe in paraflacine location with no significant perilesional edema/gliosis as described- likely to be calcified granuloma. and He had a seizure attack 2 times when he was 11 years then dr prescribed medincines for 3 yrs after that nw last month he had a attack after 10 years then same dr prescribed him VALPORATE and EPILEPSIN drug and other Dr. prescribed him CARBIN SR 200 or SELZIC. plz suggest which one is best for him
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Follow-up: Which medicine is best to treat seizures - Valproate and Epilepsin or Carbin SR 200 or Selzic ? 14 minutes later
the prescribed medicines need to take for life long and Is there any effect on our marital life. and the precaution which we need to take care. Is there any permanent cure of this. What about surgery and as I read about the Sudden unexplained death in epilepsy. I am really very tensed. Plz what shud i do to help him.
Answered by Dr. Manju M 1 hour later

The drugs prescribed by two different doctors contain similar drugs for epilepsy. Please do not take both of them and only consider the prescription of a single doctor. Epilesin and Carbin contains Carbamazepine.

Both Valproate and carbamazepine are effective in preventing seizures in patients with epilepsy. Both these drugs have some side effects.

Valproate can cause impairment in functions of liver, pancreas and hematopoetic system. Weight gain, gastric upset, bone morrow depression are other side effects.

Carbamazepine can cause headache, migraine, loss of motor coordination and blurring of vision etc.

Seliz contains Oxcarbazepine and has fewer and less serious side effects.

Every drugs has side effects but it differs from person to person and is not seen in all the individuals.

Marital life is usually not much affected by these drugs.

There is no such permanent cure for epilepsy. Important thing is to prevent recurrent seizures by taking regular medications.

There is a possibility of respiratory failure and cardiac arrest post seizure in poor controlled epilepsy but is a rare condition.

I suggest you to take the drugs that has been prescribed by your doctor strictly and regularly to prevent recurrent seizures.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Which medicine is best to treat seizures - Valproate and Epilepsin or Carbin SR 200 or Selzic ? 39 hours later
I asked about the SUDEP sudden unexplained death in epilepsy? what the chances and first he was taking Valporate400 now another doctor suggested selzic300 so suddenly he should stop taking Valporate and started selzic or sometime continue with both for some days and then continue with only selzic. What precaution he should take? he can drive, swim or not....
Answered by Dr. Manju M 26 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

SUDEP or sudden unexplained death in Epilepsy is a rare entity and it should not be a primary worry for any doctor.

The idea of changing the doctor is not bright and one should have trust in the treating doctor especially in conditions like Epilepsy. As I said in my earlier reply each doctor can critically analyze a patient condition over a period of time and can give a tailor made treatment and this is truer in cases of epilepsy where the treatment is definitely long term.

Do not take 2 tablets at once or change tablets suddenly.Kindly follow the advice of one single doctor .

The most important trigger of seizures is withdrawal of drugs hence it is important to let the other doctor know about the withdrawal. You cannot compare two prescriptions and the third doctor will definitely not be able to judge between the two. Hence understand the complexity of such situations and get educated on treatment for epilepsy.

Driving, Swimming are relative contraindication and it should be done after a seizure free period of three years. I also suggest to tag the wrist as an epileptic with drugs to let others know in advance and help during emergency.

Hope this helps.