Which is the right time to start birth control pills?

Mar 2013
Hi I finished my period yesterday and am starting birth control. Can I start Lindynette 20 today or am I supposed to start the packet during my period? My GP said I could start tomorrow but I want to be sure. Thanks
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: CAN START RIGHT AWAY, NO ISSUE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query. Traditionally, birth control is supposed to be started from day 2 or day 3 of the cycle, however it is not compulsory. A variation of a few days is okay, as long as you are not starting it midcycle, which would be most inconvenient. Since you just finished your period, start the pill pack right away. It helps starting on a Sunday anyway for ease of convenience and remembrance. Just bear in mind that for the first cycle of pill use, you are not protected fully. You should use a backup method like condoms for the first month, as the pills would take a few days or weeks to start being effective. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.