Which is the best test for finding the proper flow of blood vessels in both ears and neck?

Question
For finding the proper flow of blood vessels in both ears and neck. Which is the best test? Is it a Mr angiogram brain orMr angiogram neck? Kindly advise. I have already taken mri brain for my dizziness symptoms and the reports came normal

Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 39 minutes later
Hello sir,

Thanks for the query

The best test will be to undergo a MR Angiogram of the brain and neck. Some centers include both these sequences in their MRI protocol where as some centers do it separately.

Including both will have better yield than a single one.

You may check with your neurologist also.

Hope this clarifies your query. Let me know if you have any question in this issue.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Which is the best test for finding the proper flow of blood vessels in both ears and neck? 22 hours later
Dear doctor

Thank you for your kind reply

Yesterday I had my mri brain and mr angiogram of brain and neck

All my reports came normal. However my neurologist performed Trans cranial Doppler scan and told that I have a sub optimal blood flow in my left temporal window .

What does this mean? Is it a serious cause of concern

I went for a check up wit my family physician and he told me that since the Mr angiogram of brain and neck came normal. I don't have to worry for the Doppler result

Kindly help me

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 minutes later
I agree with your family doctor.
In the absence of MRI abnormality and Normal angio- you do not have to worry.
Doppler is largely operator dependent.
You do not have anything serious.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Which is the best test for finding the proper flow of blood vessels in both ears and neck? 1 hour later
Dear doctor

Thanks for the reply

I just now came back from my doctor review and based on the test results. He suggested that I am in the beginning stages of migraine

He has prescribed me sibilieum 5 mg at night and some multi vitamins

The only fault I did was surfing the net for side effects of sibilieum which ultimately scared me

Kindly advise on the benefits and side effects of the above medicine

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 28 minutes later
Please continue sibelium.

The side effects mentioned in the internet might not affect you at all.

The frequency of these side effects is low.

Discuss with your doctor.

No issues at all.

All the best

Follow-up: Which is the best test for finding the proper flow of blood vessels in both ears and neck? 17 minutes later
Dear doctor

Thanks and this will be my last question to you . As I know I am disturbing you too much

1.5 years back I was diagnosed with mild depression with health anxiety and I was taking nexito for a duration of one year

Now before six months only. My doctor stopped the medication

In the internet it was given that sibilieum is sensitive to patients with depression

That's why I was scared and asked you about the side effects.

Sorry once again and kindly advise whether I can still take this medicine

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 20 minutes later
If you had depression in the past and you are concerned, the other options are valproate, topiramate and amitriptyline. Please check with your neurologist and select one of these.

Best wishes