Ask a Urologist   »  

Which is the best antibiotic for epididumitis?

Jul 2016

what is the best antibiotics for epididymitis?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: broad spectrum antibiotic is best for Epididumitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have epididymitis (Infection of Epididymis) There are many antibiotics effective for treatment of Epididymitis.but it depends upon the causative organisms and sensitivity as determined by urine culture. Since most of the time Epididymitis is due to gram negative organisms( E-Coli) most of the antibiotic those belong to third generation Cephalosporine like Cefotaxime,Cefexine,and others are more effective and give prompt results. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Which is the best antibiotic for epididumitis? 5 minutes later
the doctor prescribed me with trimethorpin is that suitable? earlier they prescribed me with ofloxacin but the infection returns after completing course. have you got any ideas on the causes of this also?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get urine culture done, Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Epididymitis is always secondary to UTI . So it is always advisable to get urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please get your Urine culture done and start taking antibiotics as per culture report which is normally available 72 hours after giving urine sample. Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine dilute. Please note that Epididymitis takes long time to get cured completely hence one has to take antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac for a period of 3-4 weeks, Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Which is the best antibiotic for epididumitis? 4 minutes later
my urine culture always come back negative. I have had it done in the past. so you think a chronic prostate infection is causing this? ive been on and off antibiotics for a year now. also can epididymitis kill me ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Epididymitis never kills any one. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. If your urine culture is negative It is advisable to get semen culture or culture of urethral discharge after prostatic massage done to rule out prostatitis,You will need help of a medical personnel to do prostatic massage to collect the prostatic fluid. It is utmost important to trace out the organisms and sensitivity to start appropriate antibiotic to get results. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.