Which is a better procedure for abortion?

I am 32 years old. I have 3 children. Now I am conceive for 6 weeks. I want to abort. Which will be better MTP or surgical? Please advice me.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later
Hello Ratana XXXXXXX

Medical Abortion is a form of early abortion caused by the combination of two medications, mifepristone and misoprostol that is an option for women who are 8 weeks pregnant or less. Also known as RU486 or medication abortion.

Since you are still at 6 weeks pregnant, you can consult a gynaecologist, who will confirm the duration of pregnancy with a ultrasound, and then prescribe you the appropriate dosage of medications needed, under her supervision.

The medications taken cause uterine contractions resulting in a miscarriage usually expelled within 6 to 8 hours. When used in combination, mifepristone and misoprostol are 95-97% effective within two weeks. Mifepristone and misoprostol are FDA approved.

In case, medical pills are not successful, then Dilation and curettage procedure can be done, by your gynaecologist for termination of pregnancy.

To prevent further pregnancies in the future, you might opt for tubectomy or your husband can opt for a vasectomy.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.