Which illness is best to be treated first, COPD or GERD?

I have copd and gord which illness do i treat first?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 52 minutes later

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) frequently coexist.

If you are having symptoms of GERD such as heartburn and acid regurgitation, you are more likely to experience acute exacerbations of COPD.

Treatment of GERD with acid-suppressive therapy usually results in an improvement in the symptoms of COPD as well leading to an improvement in the overall quality of life. But, it does not slow the progression of COPD.

It is advisable to treat both the diseases simultaneously.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.