Which blood group can I receive while having B negative?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My mother has b negative blood in the event of an emergency what type of blood can she receive? I am AB negative with the Rh factor
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your mother’s blood group is B negative. That means B antigen is present on the red blood cell surface. Anti A antibody is present in blood. The Rh factor is negative.

So, she has to be given a ‘B negative’ blood only after proper cross matching test.

In case of emergency, when she needs urgent blood transfusion, ‘O negative’ blood can be considered. It contains no circulating antibody. It is also called universal donor blood group.

As your blood group is AB negative, then you are not eligible for donating blood for your mother.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Which blood group can I receive while having B negative? 11 hours later
OK! So if I am AB negative what type of blood would I need in the event of an emergency?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

You are AB negative. That means you have no antibodies in your blood. Both A and B antigens are present on the surface of red cells.

In normal condition, you need only 'AB negative' blood after proper cross matching test. But, during emergency, 'O negative', 'A negative' and 'B negative' blood can also be considered. For this reason, persons with AB negative blood groups are called as universal recipient.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.