Whenever dream of going to loo end up urinating in sleep. How to overcome this problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello doctor.,

I am 24 years old. Whenever I have a dream of going to the loo, I end up urinating in real life. I wake up only when I feel wet. This has happened about 7-8 times all within the past 12 months and never before as far as I can remember. Please advice.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have problem of sporadic incidences of bed wetting (Nocturnal Enuresis) over a year.

Nocturnal enuresis is a problem faced by children up to age of 7 years but may occur in adults(1%)

Most common cause in adults with normal physical health is either it is hereditary (Genetic). or due to Psychological stress third Third commonest cause is Cystitis( Bladder Infection).
Please get your routine Urine test done to rule out infection.

Please note that this is self limiting and gets cured over a period of time.

Till then you have to modify your water intake and bladder emptying schedules.
1)Please avoid taking water , coffee after 9 P.M
2) avoid consumption of alcohol at night.
3) Empty your bladder before going to bed.
4) Make a habit to wake up once from sleep by alarm to pass urine.

I am sure this will get resolved of its own without any medication.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.
.

Follow-up: Whenever dream of going to loo end up urinating in sleep. How to overcome this problem? 5 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX ,

Thank you for your reply.. I have noticed that such bed wetting has never happened unless I am having a dream about going to the toilet.. Do you think there is any connection or is it only a mere coincidence?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Hello
Thanks fr follow up.
It is just a coincidence and sure that it will get resolved without any medication.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Whenever dream of going to loo end up urinating in sleep. How to overcome this problem? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.. :)

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
Hello
Thanks for reply and good luck .
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.