When will the Gamma GT levels become normal after alcohol cessation? Having confusion, memory loss, panic attacks

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
How long after cessation of alcohol, does it take for Gamma GT levels to return to normal? I have been having the following symptoms, fear, confusion, unable to make decisions, short term memory loss, making mistakes, panic attaks. I have also got low B folate
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

I understand that the symptoms are causing you distress.

But it is good that you have stopped the consumption of alcohol.

The symptoms fit into the gamut of Korsakoff's syndrome.

It will take at least 9 months to 1 year for enzyme levels to normalise and these symptoms do decrease in severity and thereafter disappear.

The collateral vitamin deficiencies need to be replenished immediately by parenteral therapy. The psychological symptoms will respond very fast to vitamin replacement (vitamin B 1, 6 &12).

I hope my explanation answers your question.

Please do not hesitate to ask me follow up query, if any.

With Regards