When trying to reduce weight, get headaches with tension. Take ibuprofen and micardis for BP. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I wanted to come back with a question I also have asked previously. The challenges I had have not disappeared, hence the fair of brain tumor is all the time on the mind. As I am travelling on business, I have found this fsite to be a good source, otherwise I have of course paid already a visit...
As I wrote earlier, every time I am trying to get to manage my weight, the same issue happens. Earlier I have made right away some trastic changes and then it has failed so this time I have been especially cautios. Started after I had my pneumonia clearing some 3 months ago. I have made sure not to cut out too much on food and in two months have lost now only 20 kilos compared to earlier 25-30 kilos.
What always happens is a very headache or actually a tension in the front of my head and in the eye area. I can feel a little bit tightness as well in the lower neck and should area. It does not hurt however the light tension seems to be always present and perhaps mostly in the morning when you get out of the bed. However, it does not disturb my sleep nor the rest of the life in any way. What bothers me is that it does not disappear totally and I have read that headaches which start after 40, are a concern. I am 39. I have not used any painkillers except for once Ibuprofen which worked well. But in a few days time the tension reappeared.Since I am pretty hypohondric for cancers, anything like this gives me some stress.
Although I am still on a blood pressure medication (Micardis 80/12.5) my blood pressure has dropped within this period from 140/90 to 110/70, rest pulse from 80 to 50.
As for exercise, from doing nothing and walking some 2000 steps a day I have progressed to an average of 0000 steps a day which includes at least minimum 1,5 hour activity where the heart rate is above 70%.
As for diet I am having at least two or three meals but have cut out the fast food which was my main food earlier. Although I have not eliminated fat totally, salmon and caesar salad are still on the menu.
Hope you do not mind reviewing this once again...
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
History does not seem to suggest brain tumor

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your current symptoms do not suggest a history of brain tumor.
Features are most suggestive of muscle tension headache and pain.
Good medications may include amitriptyline or dothiepin.

Features that could be of concern include severe headache especially on awakening, vomiting in morning, double vision, weakness of one arm or leg and seizures. If any of these occurs, you can get a brain scan done, otherwise there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist