When should be pregnancy test be done?

May 2013
Hi, my partner and I decided to try to concieve and had sexbefore and during the time I should have ovulated. I have been feeling pregnant, tired, urinating frequently, and occasionalnausea. Three days before my expected period I began bleeding and thought my period started early. But the bleeding was very light and lasted for less than two days. I am wondering if I could be pregnant. I did a hpt the day after the bleeding stopped (the day of my expected period) but it was negative. What is the earliest I should test again?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blood test for pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As you had intercourse around the time of ovulation, there is possibility of pregnancy. But just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy. Minimal spotting can be seen in early pregnancy due to different causes like embedment of gestational sac, increased blood supply to local genital organs etc. Some women may get spotting during their expected dates of menstruation even being pregnant also. So to come to one conclusion, go for blood test for pregnancy now or wait for 4 to 5 days and repeat urine pregnancy test. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: When should be pregnancy test be done? 25 hours later
Is there another likely reason for such a short, light period?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hypomenorrhea Detailed Answer: Hi, Scanty flow during periods is called hypomenorrhea. This can occur due to many causes like: -Hormonal imbalance due to different causes like stress and strain, poly cystic ovary disease, weight changes etc. -Thyroid hormonal abnormalities, prolactin levels abnormalities etc. -General causes anemia, diabetes etc. You can observe the next cycle. If in the next cycle you get normal flow no need to worry. If same thing repeats in next cycle, better once get evaluated. Take care.