When should be HIV test done after a sexual encounter?

hello doctor a recently had a risky sexual encounter with a prostitute and was thinking of getting a hiv pcr test, it has been 20 days since my exposure. is this sufficient time to get an accurate result? i have read that the time frame is from 2-3 weeks but i don't understand why it's not an exact number, why is it in between 2-3?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: YES, it is sufficient time already Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this risky sexual intercourse you had. It is sufficient time already to get accurate results from an HIV pcr test. Medicine rarely deals with rigid numbers. If you have ever done blood tests before, for example, you would notice that we always reports results as the normal range/intervals. This is because we are all individuals and the way this virus behaves in each individual is slightly different. However, within 2-3weeks taking into account the individual differences, the results would be a true reflection of what transpired. At 20days already, there is no reason to get worried. If it were 14days, I could have advised that you wait a week longer but at 21days, there is just no worry about that. Please, always consider protecting yourself against HIV and other STDs. It is a good practice that you would not regret. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.