When should BP be considered seriously high? Is it okay if it is high for a long period?

My nephew has a BP of 165/118 and doctor says he is not concerned, he is now very worried about it, has been like this for a long time, range 145/106 and 175/120 should he get a second opinion
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later

Blood pressure of the value 175/120 is no normal.

I suggest him to consult another GP, get his BP checked by him on three different occasions when in rest.If the reading appear consistently high then he may have to consult a cardiologist to be put on anti hypertensives after ascertaining the well being of the heart.As in some heart problems can lead to such BP readings also most of times BP of that values can affect the heart in-turn.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.