When masturbate, get blood with semen. Is it due to prolong sexual abstinence?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Hello, I am a widower of 3 three years...64 white male with no ilnees. Its kind of embarassing, but when I masturbate I sometimes get blood mixed with semen on ejaculation. Is this caused because my well is running dry and I i am too vigorous? I am in a good shape and average once a day or every other day. But it usually takes me awhile to cum.

Its done this before, and would wait several days and try it again, and everything was okay. Your advice please,,,thank you!
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
noticed hematospermia very recently.

You are 60 years old and a widower since 3 years and there are periods of prolonged sexual abstinence.

Most of the time Hematospermia below the age of 40-45 years is self limiting and gets resolved without any treatment but hematospermia in a person above the age of 50 years has to be evaluated thoroughly to rule out any major pathology.and to find out the source of bleeding.

Since you are otherwise in perfect health , it can be due to prolonged sexual abstinence or vigorous masturbation However it it suggested to consult qualified urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic investigations done to help in diagnosis .
1) Routine Urine test,
2) Haemogram with Coagulation Profile
3) Semen analysis
4) Serum PSA
5) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen and ultrasound scanning by rectal probe to rule out cancer of the prostate.

The further treatment will be decided by him/her depending on results of these tests.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: When masturbate, get blood with semen. Is it due to prolong sexual abstinence? 12 hours later
Thanks for your quick response. I do not have medical insurance now, but I will when I turn 65 this Nov....Medicare/plus. Do you think I will be alright until then? I have no other medical symptoms. Also, what is a Serum PSA, and Haemogram with Coagulation Profile. thank you.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 58 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for feedback.
You can certainly wait till Nov if your symptoms do not aggravate.keeping in mind to get these investigations done if your problem worsens

PSA is Prostatic Specific Antigen which is raised in case one has Cancer of the prostate. It is very vital and important tool to diagnose cancer of the prostate.

Haemogram is general blood investigation to see Haemoglobin levels and any infection in the body.

Coagulation profile indicates any bleeding disorder.that leads to bleeding from any where in the body.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Blood

.