When is the fertility duration of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism?

hi..i would like to know the fertility of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism..
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Generally fertility levels are normal in women with mild hyperthyroidism. However, severe hyperthryoidism ( including thyrotoxicosis) negatively affects your fertility. Poor fertility can be due to several other reasons for which a complete evaluation is needed. If you can give me some more details, I'd be in a better position to help you.
In any case, hyperthyroidism needs to be treated since it has adverse effects on a large number of organs. The treatment would involve anti-thyroid drugs like propylthiouracil and methimazole. In some cases, radioactive iodine is also given. A beta blocker like propanolol is also required for symptom control. Please speak with your physician about this since this is a prescription drug.
As far as the diet and activity levels are concerned, you can continue on your normal diet. Some expectorants, radiographic contrast dyes, seaweed tablets, and health food supplements should be avoided as they may have some iodine.
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any questions.
Follow-up: When is the fertility duration of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism? 10 minutes later
tqvm doc..that really helps a lot.but i would like to know whether by taking the medicine such as carbimazole,will affect the fertility levels??
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Carbimazole as such has no effect on fertility. However, if a lady wishes to become pregnant, we prefer using the drug propylthiouracil as the other drugs cross over to the child and can cause severe side effects in a very small percentage of cases.
The fertility issues need to be evaluated with a detailed history, an ultrasound of the pelvis and a semen analysis ( for the male partner) to start with. Depending on these results, we can take that ahead.
I hope that addresses your concerns. I'll be happy to answer any more questions that you may have. If not, please close this discussion and rate the answer.