When is the best time to take contraceptive pills?

Mar 2016

Please advice regular oral contraceptive pills brand available in India. Where this is available to get? If a women is already in middle of her cycle ( 10 days after period), how many days advance before sexual act it needs to be taken to be effective?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Followings are my comments: 1) There are several brands of regular combined oral contraceptive pill available in India. These include FEMILON, NOVELON etc. They contain low dose Ethinyl Estradiol and Desogestrel as active ingredients. You will get highest protection (around 99.9%) against unwanted pregnancy on regular or perfect use in proper schedule after 1-month period. 2) They are easily available in all medical store and over the counter without prescription in most places of India. 3) You can’t start taking oral pill from the middle of your cycle or 10 days after period as it is not safe for you. They take time to be effective and give highest protection. For best result, oral pills should be taken from D1 of each cycle for continuous 21 days with 7 days gap to get withdrawal bleeding (same to period) normally. In addition, you need to practice protected sexual intercourse during the first month with some back up method (like condom, spermicide gel etc) to avoid unwanted pregnancy and enhance protection. Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need further clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW