When is it safe to start oral contraceptive pill?

Question
HAI, I HAVE ONE DOUBT REGARDING ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILL. WHEN WE WANT TO START USING FEMILON OCP. I MEAN WHICH DAY I WANT TO TAKE FIRST FEMILON TABLET. IF MY WIFES PERIOD (MENSTRUAL BLEEDING) WILL START ON 20TH.

THANKS
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 20 minutes later
Hi AAAAA.
Thank you for putting up your problem to Healthcare Magic!
The Femilon is an estrogen and progestogen combination pill.
You can start it any day during the first five days of menses with start of bleeding counted as day one of the cycle.
The preferable day to start it is day one of the cycle.
You need to start the OCP after consulting your gynecologist, this one time assessment by a gynecologist is very important. Your doctor would decide if you have enough fitness to use it.

I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you

Follow-up: When is it safe to start oral contraceptive pill? 6 minutes later
how much it help to avoid pregnancy during first use

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX.
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic forum!
OCPs are effective fully when you start second course.
For the first month it is less effective do a barrier method like condom should be used.
I hope this review resolves your doubts, if still need some help please write me back. I would try my best efforts to help you out.
Wish you a pink of health!