When is it safe to have sexual intercourse after giving birth to twins?

Question
how do i get know when its safe to start having after giving birth to twins. thank you
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minimum 3 weeks of abstinence; best at 6 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

First of all, hearty congratulations on your new blessings.

Now coming to your query. I am assuming you are inquiring about sexual intercourse after giving birth to twins, as you have not mentioned exactly what you wish to start doing, after giving birth to twins.

Well giving birth to twins or a single baby, would still require the same amount of time, for the female's body to recover and recuperate, in order to have successful, pleasurable and painless sexual intercourse. The usual period of abstinence advised medically is three weeks post-natally (after delivery) through the vagina. This period can be shorter, at least 2 weeks when delivery has taken place through a C-section. So, if it has been more than 3 weeks, and if you have a good libido and experience no pain during vaginal penetration, then please go ahead. But if you have pain, then it is best to wait for at least 6 weeks to complete and then slowly re-initiate.

A recent survey reported that most women suffered from pain, exhaustion and a loss in libido till 6 weeks after delivery. Around 50 % of women re-initiate their sexual life around 6 weeks after delivery, around 72 % after 12 weeks, and almost 94 % by the end of the 16 week.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Wishing your twins a beautiful and healthy life ahead, and your husband and you a blissful married life.

God bless.