When is conception possible with IgG positive and IgM negative?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hiii i had an abortion at 21 week of my pregnancy on 23rd dec. 2013. I am 24 yrs old Indian female & this was my first pregnany... i had a torch test post my abortion on 31st dec. 2013, which states my Rubella Igg 80.00 IU/mL & CMV Igg 47.00 AU/mL ... though in my test during pregnancy on 08 aug 2013 i had under stated values - CMV Igg - positive CMV IgM - NEGATIVE Rubella Igg - 67IU/mL. PLEASE tell me can i safely conceive for my next baby ? when is the right time to do so ?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Plan pregnancy after 2 to 3 months Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. IgG positive and IgM negative result indicates past infection or immunity towards the infection. So, as you are IgG positive and IgM negative to both infections, no need to worry. Better to plan next pregnancy after 2 to 3 months. By that time the blood loss will be corrected and your general condition will improve. Take folic acid supplementation during these months. Hope I have answered your question. I will be available to answer followup questions. If you are satisfied with the response please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: When is conception possible with IgG positive and IgM negative? 1 hour later
Hi, Thanx for the reply. Ma'am please have a look on the 8 reports i have recently uploaded . And let me know in detail what was the actual reason for my loss . as everythning was going so very smooth . on 23rd night i realised huge water discharge accompanied with blood ... i immediately visited my Dr. & she told me that abortion has already taken place 2 days b4 , i.e: on 21st dec 2013 . Its really hard for me to accept this loss as i didn't hav a single problem (no pain, no bleeding...,etc )throughout my pregnancy & all of sudden i underwent this... So please let me know the actual reason for my loss & prevention mechanism..., so that i can be cautious enuf in future . currently i am taking WELLWOMAN CAPSULES, RECONTREX TABLETS & LYCOZED SYRUP... & it had been 1 mnth nw taking dese medicines . Your reply will be awaited asap...., as i am so much in mental stress... THANKING YOU

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Nonrecurrent cause Detailed Answer: Hi, According to your reports the abnormalities noted are: -You had urinary tract infection at 6 weeks pregnancy. -You had subchorionic hemorrhage at 9 weeks. -In the same report left ovary volume of 10.3cc is more than normal, possibly suggesting poly cystic ovary disease etc. As you got abortion at 21 weeks, above causes may not be responsible for that. According to your ultrasound on 24th, liquor was less. So possibly leakage of liquor might have led to the intra uterine fetal demise. Rupture of membranes can lead to leakage of liquor. This can occur due to many causes like lifting weights, journey, intercourse etc. Sometimes cause cannot be pointed out. This problem is non recurrent cause of abortion. So, by taking care possibly this can be prevented in next pregnancy. You can continue your tablets with your doctor's advice. As you are young, no need to worry about fertility. Take care.

Follow-up: When is conception possible with IgG positive and IgM negative? 2 hours later
Hi..., Thanx for the reply ... but my query is whether torch infection is the reason of this loss or anything else? Because as already stated ,My latest torch report(31st dec. 2013) says:- Rubella Igg - 80.00 IU/mL & CMV Igg - 47.00 AU/mL ... Though in my test during pregnancy on 08 aug 2013 i had under stated values - CMV Igg - positive CMV IgM - NEGATIVE & Rubella Igg - 67IU/mL. So what i want to ask u is that , based on my surfing over internet on this i found that the values i had for rubella & cmv in my LATEST & PREVIOUS torch report is normal & nothing to worry on.., but as per my Dr. this is the reason for loss ... So please explain me about these values n infection based on my report in my context . Because things are actually getting contradictory for me ..., and unless and until i will get a clear reason its really difficult for me to make myself positive & plan for the next healthy pregnancy ... Trust me things are actually bothering me a very lot putting me in immense STRESS. Please help me to come out of this trauma . Will be really obliged....!!! Thanking You, REGARDS

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Infections may not be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As I mentioned previously IgG positivity with IgM negativity indicates past infection or immunity towards the infection. Values can differ from lab to lab. As the tests were performed in two different labs, that may be the reason for changes in IgG values. IgM negative indicates absence of present infection. So, as your IgM reports were negative for both infections during pregnancy, these infections may not be the cause for your miscarriage. According to your reports I am thinking that fetal demise might have occurred due to leakage of amniotic fluid. As your IgG levels are positive, no need to take immunization at present. You can plan for pregnancy after 2 to 3 months and continue with regular antenatal checkups. Don't worry, hopefully next time you will have uneventful pregnancy and healthy baby. Take care.

Follow-up: When is conception possible with IgG positive and IgM negative? 5 hours later
Hii ..., Thanks for your reply and letting me know that infection is not the reason ... And as far as u mean that leakage of amniotic fluid cud be a reason for the fetal demise ..., let me share the entire incident with you... i was suffering from fever , cold & cough since last two days ( 21st dec. onwards) & was taking cadid V-6 VAGINAL TABLETS from 19th onwards on prescription of my Dr. as i used to have curdy vaginal discharge through out the day . ON 23rd morning i even visited my Dr. for my 2nd tetanus injection and also regarding fever . she asked me if i am having any other problem ? i said no because in actual i was not feeling anything to be worried . she didn"t cheked d fetal heart beats dat day becoz she was in bit hurry and she already did my full chek up on 13th december and everything was completely fine On 23rd"Dec. 2013 around 10:45 pm i realized more than usual vaginal discharge along with little bleeding and by the time i could figure out anything and stood up i had huge liquid flow from my vagina as if water running out from top ... I immediately rushed to my Dr. where she did the ultrasound (24th"dec.2013 one) & told me that the abortion has already taken place two days before. i.e: on 21st"Dec. 2103 And wthin 1/2 an hour i delivered a female child (still birth) naturally without any surgery or any other means . So everthing took place widin 2 hrs. As per the Dr. the fetous growth was very proper as much one shud grow till this month . So my question is if that vaginal flow happened to me was nothing but the amniotic fluid leakage. Then what could be the reason for that? because as per you infection could not be the reason . And i never lifted any weight & had intercourse throughout my pregnancy . and i use to have regular chek ups which never suggested of any major issues except mild ones which could never turn into what happened with me . And as far as travelling is concerned i just travelled for once in 13th week of my pregnancy from sydney to india (15 hrs. journey) . So . please let me know the possible reason for that sudden amniotic fluid leakage (particularly fetal demise before 2 days of sudden leakage ). inspite of everything fine as per the reports ( on 30th nov. 2013 & also i had proper chek up regarding fetal heartbeat etc.., on 13th december 2013 ) and no possible traces of any serious infection. I am sure my repeated question must be annoying you , But please kindly bear with me . Because i had full routine chek ups from sydney to india . i was in touch of 2-3 Dr's regularly . none of the reports or Dr's ever said anything to be worried. Everything was running butterly smooth . Then all of sudden this happened & i am left with no answers... So i have approached you ... Thanx for being patient so far & repling for my queries .. Your reply will be awaited. THANKING YOU...!!!

Brief Answer: Fever can lead to toxemia Detailed Answer: Hi, Though TORCH infections may not be the cause for the fetal demise, general fever can also affect the baby. Fever can lead to toxemia, that can affect the baby. Chorioamnionitis(infection of membranes) may occur due to fever and that can lead to rupture of membranes. Rarely vaginal infection can lead to Chorioamnionitis. Cough can increase the possibility of rupture of membranes. So possibly some of these factors are responsible for the fetal demise and leakage of liquor. I can understand your misery. But as these are nonrecurrent causes possibly next pregnancy may not get affected. Take care.