When does the hymen break and is it a sign of virginity ?

I am 25 year girl, I wanted to know whether hymen can broken at the age 12, Because, when i was 12, blood came from vagina, after that i have gone for check up then doctor asked for blood test and urine test and then she said that that is due over heat. When does hymen brokes, Is it really sign of virginity.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Follow-up: When does the hymen break and is it a sign of virginity ? 9 minutes later
I got engaged and iam getting married in few months, so we both had advanced but when he tried to insert penis i felt bad pain and stopped doing. But when he fingered i had no pain. I just wanted to know whether i am virgin or not. I dint had sex till date.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 14 minutes later

A hymen is a tag of skin present at the vaginal orifice. Presence or absence of hymen or its rupture and consequent bleeding with onset of sexual activity and intercourse is not a indicator of virginity. This is a very old hypothesis concocted without any medical basis. The hymen may disintegrate in very active girls involved in activities like outdoor sports, dancing, cycling, etc.

The bleeding you had at the age of 12 years could be due to menarche (onset of menstruation) , and would not be due to rupture of the hymen.

Rupture of hymen is not an indicator of virginity. As a matter of fact some women can have a intact hymen inspite of being sexually active. There are no after effects with either the hymen being intact or disintegrating.

With respect to the sexual encounter with your fiance, it is normal to have discomfort on the first few sexual encounters. This is due to lack of experience as well as lack of proper lubrication since you may not be completely excited or due to guilt or fear of doing something unnatural.

It is normal for young commited couples to engage in sexual exploration and you should not feel guilty about it.

In addition, you are a virgin until you have your first and complete sexual intercourse. Presence of absence of hymenal tear does not determine your status of virginity. Since you have not had sexual intercourse till now, you still are a virgin and there should be no doubt about it.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.