When can the test for HIV done after exposure? Kissing cause HIV?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
how quickly can one get tested for hiv after exposure?can kissing cause hiv?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

Type of kissing determines the risk of HIV transmission.
There is no risk from closed-mouth kissing.
However in very rare instances deep French kissing has a remote potential to transmit.
There are rare reports of transmissions via french kissings. In all of them infected blood was exchanged due to bleeding gums or sores in the mouth.

Recommended is that individuals who are HIV-infected avoid deep, open-mouth “French” kissing with a non-infected partner, as there is a potential risk of transferring infected blood.

I didn't get your first question. There are so many Integrated counselling and testing centers. One can attend to any of them after exposure to an infected individual.

I ll be happy to answer if you have any further questions.
Follow-up: When can the test for HIV done after exposure? Kissing cause HIV? 7 hours later
my first ques is after how many days of possible exposure can i take a test for hiv and which labs in india do hiv dna pcr testing?
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 11 hours later
The primary testing strategy is to detect HIV antibody in serum.
Antibody appears in the circulation 3 - 12 weeks after infection. So this is the first testing time.
If the exposure is of less than that duration and there is there is strong reason to suspect early HIV infection, DNA PCR, RNA PCR and p24 antigen capture can be employed.

There are so many labs in India doing DNA PCR. There are so many private labs in Kolkata (Probably it will be nearer to you.). You can ask in sub divisional hosp Kharagpur or railway hospital. Facility must also be available in Tropical school of medicine, Kolkata.

I hope I have clarified your query. I ll be happy to help you, if you have any more questions.
All the best.
Follow-up: When can the test for HIV done after exposure? Kissing cause HIV? 30 minutes later
thank you very much for your advice, which labs in kolkata do dna pcr testing and after how many days of exposure should i get it??
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 43 minutes later
DNA PCR can be done at any time after possible exposure.
The technique employed is amplification of HIV proviral DNA from peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
It is a very sensitive test.DNA PCR tests can detect proviral DNA at a frequency of one copy per 10,000–100,000 cells. A consequence of this high degree of sensitivity is some loss of specificity.

How ever , it is always advisable to visit a integrated counselling and testing center (ICTC) and proceed according to protocol. You can attend the ICTC in Kolkata medical college.

In response to your other querry, it will be difficult for me to cite the exact names of private labs performing the test.

I hope I have clarified everything. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.