When can normal diet be resumed after recovery from Hepatitis A?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have recovered from Hepatitis A recently. My direct bilrubin count is 0.7 and indirect is 0.3(Total 1). Can I resume normal diet now. like egg, chicked.. When can I start alcohol.. I am a moderate drinker(3*60ml per week).
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Now you can start your normal diet. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Your bilirubin level is normal now and you have recovered from Hepatitis A. You can start your normal healthy diet but you should avoid high fat food for at least two weeks more. You shouldn't never start drinking again.You are very young and this is the time to quit drinking.It is not good for health at all.It causes multi systemic damage. After prolong intake of alcohol many things become irreversible and then you can't do any thing except repent.You can also gradually taper the amount and if necessary you can seek psychologist help. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: When can normal diet be resumed after recovery from Hepatitis A? 3 hours later
Is Hepatatis A caused by alcohol Intake or by Virus ? Because, I am a very social drinker(once in a month). I want to enjoy the social life with couple of drinks. Are you saying that, person affected with hepatatis A should never consume alcohol again? XXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: No relation in between alcohol & hepatitis A. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Definitely hepatitis A is caused by a virus and it spreads by contaminated water. There is no relation in between alcohol intake and hepatitis A.You can take alcohol after recovering from hepatitis A. You can enjoy social drinking.My suggestions were related to moderate drinking. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: When can normal diet be resumed after recovery from Hepatitis A? 7 minutes later
Thanks Sir, This is my last question. 1)When can I start taking alcohol? 2)Can I start having egg and chicken now? XXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should wait for 2 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You should wait for 2 weeks before starting mentioned food. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX