When can I test for pregnancy with HPT ?

My last period started on 19th July. Using an OV kit I had my surge on the 7th August (day 20) I thought this was pretty late.

Anyhow, I assume this means I probably ovulated on the 8th or 9th August and am keen to know when I can test for pregnancy.

Also, based on the above, I randomly used an OV kit this morning (just to see) and it was still showing as positive. (Both lines were exactly the same colour) What could this mean? Does it indicate pregnancy at all and if not, how long does an ov kit remain positive? Today is already 9 days after my first positive OV result.

So far, pregnancy tests have been negative.

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

From the history given, I assume that you are planning to have a child.

To start with, I shall assume that you have been having your periods regularly once in 28 days. In that case, your next ovulation would have been on 2nd or 3rd of August.

In case this is the actual date of ovulation, then testing for conception with a HPT (home pregnancy test) should be done one week, after the expected period. Hence in your case, since your expected period, would be on 16th August, you should do a pregnancy test on 23rd August, to check for pregnancy.

I have provided additional information for your assistance below regarding the ovulation prediction and about use of ovulation kits.

To detect the time of ovulation and your most fertile time of the period, you need to figure out when your next period is due to begin and count back 12 to 16 days. This will give you a range of days when you will probably be ovulating. For women with a 28-day cycle, the 14th day is often the day of ovulation. To use this method, you must know how long your cycle usually lasts. Your cycle starts on the first day you have your period.

With respect to ovulation kits, these kits detect the surge in luteinizing hormone (LH) in your urine just before ovulation. They can predict ovulation 12 to 36 hours in advance and help you maximize your chance of conception.

But they're not foolproof. Rarely, they can measure LH (you get either a positive or a negative result, not a number), but can't indicate whether you ovulate after a positive response; LH can surge with or without the release of an egg. False LH surges can also take place before the real one.

For maximum accuracy, follow the kit's directions to the letter. However, if the instructions say to test your first urine of the day, you may want to test your second catch instead. Your urine can become concentrated overnight and might give you a false-positive result.

If you have a 28-day cycle, start using the test on day 11 and use it for six days. If your cycle runs between 27 and 34 days, your ovulation may range between days 13 and 20. Start testing on day 11 and continue until day 20 or so. But if you have an irregular cycle, then using a ovulation prediction kit might not be very helpful, as it might need much more frequent testing than usual.

I hope the information given is helpful.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: When can I test for pregnancy with HPT ? 34 minutes later
My last period was on the 19th July and I did not 'surge' untuil the 7th August.

I used the ovulation test kit every day from day 10 and did not have my surge until the 7th August. This was in fact day 20, not 14. So my cycle here is not 28 days at all.

So I assume I ovulated around the 8th or 9th August, so when can I test for pregnacy?

I am trying for nmy second child.

Tingly breasts, cramps and very tired (who knows if this is sign of pregnancy, or just period on the way!)

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later

In case, you did ovulate on the 9th of August (the later date - to be sure), that is around 20 days after your last period (July 19th) then you might be having a 34 day cycle in the first place.

In such a situation, testing for conception with a Urine pregnancy test can be after 30th August. Testing on this date will give you accurate results on the HPT.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Wish you good luck and a good health.