When can I expect a reduction in the size of my waist after having abdominal surgery for fibroids?

I had an abdominal myomectomy about 5 months ago and although my periods are not as heavy and as long (7 days) as when I had fibroids, they are heavier than before I had the fibroids but now last shorter (2 days) also, my tummy does not seem to be reducing in size and still has a unusual sensation as if it is still paralyzed a little. Is it possible that the sensation and tummy size are a normal thing after this kind of surgery if so, when should II expect to see a difference e.g reduction in tummy size. I used to be 28 before fibroids around the waist now I am 33 (with fibroids and post-op) yet my weight is constant.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Any abdominal surgery will cause undue stress on the body and may cause a disturbance in metabolism.This often results in weight gain after any surgery.

5 months is enough time for healing to occur.There should not have been any post op complication that may result in abdominal distension after 5 months of surgery.

First i think that you need to follow up with your surgeon once.Just to rule out abdominal distension,gaseous distension and any fluid collection.This can be done by examination and ultrasound.
If you are normal internally,then you will have to work out a plan for weight reduction/toning etc.It would be better that you consult a trainer for that.Any recurrence of fibroids also needs to be ruled out.

If you have follow up questions,most welcome.

Follow-up: When can I expect a reduction in the size of my waist after having abdominal surgery for fibroids? 23 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I will have an ultrasound to rule out the possibilities you mention. How soon can I try to conceive after the surgery?

How soon would you estimate a recurrence of fibroids?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
After any major operation i suggest that you wait at least 6-9 months before you try to concieve.
Pregnancy will cause stress on your body and its important that your body has adquate strength to bear that.
Fibroids can recur after a few months but usually takes time to grow.

Follow-up: When can I expect a reduction in the size of my waist after having abdominal surgery for fibroids? 15 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I suppose you can not estimate how much time it usually takes the fibroids to grow?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 49 minutes later
No XXXXXXX, its not possible to estimate that. But fibroids do take many weeks to develop. And to develop a significant size it may take longer. Just get an ultrasound and it should clear up a lot of suspicions.

Wish you Good Health.