When can I conceive to avoid the side effects of Acutret taken for acne ?

Question
Sir,
I am 37 year old and my weight is 70 Kg.I am having 7year old daughter.I was taking Acutret for my acne treatment two month back. Now I am planing for 2 child. When I should conceive to avoid all the side affect of the Acutret medicine?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Hello.

The isotretinoin that you are taking fro the treatment of acne is definitely a drug to be avoided during pregnancy due to its detrimental effects on the baby.

You should give at least a six month gap after stopping the drug for the drug to get washed out from your body completely so that it does not produce any effect on your baby.

Be careful that even the topical application of similar drugs has also to be avoided as the topically applied drug also gets absorbed and reaches our blood circulation up to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: When can I conceive to avoid the side effects of Acutret taken for acne ? 17 hours later
Dear Madam,
I had taken isotretinoin 5mg for one month. If I conceive after six month of stopping the medicine will it be 100% safe for my baby. I am no other medical problem, Is it advisable go for 2nd child at the age of 37+?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Yes it is safe for your child if you conceive after six months. Conceiving after 37 is a high risk pregnancy and you need to take an extra care but it is never a contraindication of pregnancy. You can plan the baby and take some extra care.