When approaching menopause,what can I expect with irregular periods?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When approaching menopause what can I expect with irregular periods? I usually get mine every 3 + weeks but have gone nearly 5 - is this what I expect? I am 48yrs?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Delayed periods is a normal finding. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Near the menopause the interval between your periods gradually increases and the time of periods becomes ore unpredictable. Having periods after 5 weeks is normal at your age. You can get your serum FSH levels tested to know if it is due to menopausal changes or due to hormonal imbalance. In addition to the irregular periods you may also develop other symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep disruptions, mood swings and urinary problems. Do not worry if you develop these symptoms too. Though these symptoms are normal, you may consider using oral contraceptive pills (OCP) briefly if symptoms are disturbing. Your gynecologist can help you prescribing the pills to you. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL