What's the best time of the day to take blood pressure medication?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
whats the best time of the day to take blood pressure medication?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

The timing of your blood pressure medication depends partly on your personal routine and also on the type of medication you are taking. Blood pressure tends to be slightly higher in the morning after you have woken up and lower in the evening and when you are asleep. Most blood pressure medications are designed to be taken once a day and the effect begins around one hour after taking them with maximum effect from 4 hours onwards.

Therefore, it makes sense to take your blood pressure medicines in the morning as part of your normal routine. This way you are less likely to forget a dose.

If you are thinking of altering the timing of your medicines, I would recommend discussing this with your doctor first.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger