What would cause blood blisters on my soft palette?

I got a number of blood blisters on my soft palette just above the throat.I had just eaten a salad with croutons. What would cause this. It has never happened before.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The most likely triggering factor is that the mucosa in your mouth was sensitive to one of the ingredients in the salad or possibly the dressing. This is commonly due to a reaction to egg, the acidic component of the salad dressing or possibly due to a direct traumatic effect if the crouton rubbed against the back of your throat while swallowing.

This could be coincidental with a mild viral infection which could cause inflammation of the soft palette as well.

As for treatment I recommend you try to drink plenty of fluids, take some ibuprofen 600 mg three times daily for the next 3 days, rest and support your immune system and I would expect these to rapidly resolve.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my answer has served to be both helpful and informative. should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What would cause blood blisters on my soft palette? 40 minutes later
Same dressing I have used for years. I did feel like a piece of crouton was stuck on the palette. I scraped it off with my finger and then I could feel the blisters rising. There are several large ones. Is this area easily in injured?

Thank you for your help.
Follow-up: What would cause blood blisters on my soft palette? 10 hours later
I asked a followup question that was not answered.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

In light of the information you submitted the only real likely culprit here is the local trauma from the sharp surface of the crouton.

I would be interested to know the interval change you have experienced in symptoms. I would expect a significant improvement of your symptoms by now.

If this is not the case we would have to consider some alternatives. Please update me as to how you are doing.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What would cause blood blisters on my soft palette? 9 hours later
It actually improved within 12 hours as several of the blood blisters had disappeared. Now 36 hours have passed. All blood blisters are gone and the site appears to be healing rapidly and most of the soreness is gone,. I held an ice cube on the affected area and that helped a lot. I may also point out that I may have worsened the initial outbreak by trying to break a blister with my finger. It went downhill rapidly after that. But again I think it is healing rapidly.

Thanks, XXXXXXX Lowe
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

This is great news! Thank you for the followup and update. I think we can rest assured that the natural tendency of your body to heal itself will now take over to restore your healthy soft palette.

Again I thank you for the query and hope you found this interaction to be helpful. Let me know if there is anything else i can help you with in the future.

Dr. Galamaga