What would cause a red circle arond a dog bite? Does that mean infection?

General Surgeon
Question
WHAT WOULD CAUSE A HUGE RED CIRCLE AROUND A DOG BITE, DOES THAT MEAN INFECTION?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The most common cause of redness around dog bite site is infection. You would need a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin-clavulanate and metronidazole or clindamycin to take care of this.
I would also suggest that you keep the wound dry and clean.
Further, I hope you have taken adequate measures to protect yourself against rabies. Please speak with your physician about the need for anti-rabies immunoglobulins and vaccines to protect you against rabies. You would also need a tetanus shot if the bite was less than 24-48 hours ago.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.