What would be the treatment for difficulty breathing, dizziness, and fatigue one week after shoulder replacement surgery?

Question
What would the procedure be if a patient complained of difficulty breathing, dizziness, and fatigue one week after shoulder replacement surgery?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult with doctor to exclude pulmonary embolism. Detailed Answer: Hi, Pulmonary embolism is a severe complication after surgery for a 84 years old. I highly suggest to get physically checked by your physician as soon as possible and to run further tests; - chest X-ray - EKG - cardiac Echo - holter monitoring to exclude pulmonary and heart problems. I also suggest to monitor your blood pressure and blood glucose, report the results for further evaluation. Once again, consult your physician as soon as possible to exclude pulmonary embolism. If everything is ok, it might be due to lack of physical activity after surgery. Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What would be the treatment for difficulty breathing, dizziness, and fatigue one week after shoulder replacement surgery? 9 minutes later
Thanks so much! What if the patient has already been to the Orthopedic surgeon who performed the operation, four days after surgery, and complained of symptoms like breathing difficulty, dizziness, chest pain, etc, Would those be "normal' signs of post-op. experiences? The surgeon sent the patient home after only taking vitals.

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions to your queries... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. If I was her caring doctor, taking into account the patient age (84 years old), I would keep monitoring her lungs and heart for possible complications after surgery. It is true that difficulty in breathing, dizziness, chest pain, etc. are normal signs of post-op.; however, I could conclude this only if I am really sure the patient is not having any problem with blood clotting anywhere (especially lungs/heart). I insist to run the above-mentioned tests to rule out pulmonary embolism or other heart complication. If nothing will be reported, then, it is a normal sign of post-op. Hope it helped! Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What would be the treatment for difficulty breathing, dizziness, and fatigue one week after shoulder replacement surgery? 22 hours later
Thank you doctor...you have been incredibly helpful!

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Glad to know I've been of help... Detailed Answer: Hi again, You are most-welcomed! Happy to be assisting you! All the best! Dr.Albana