What would be the top concern in prescribing Benzodiazepines in a clinical setting to a special population such as an elder?

Excellent

Question
I know that Benzodiazepines are among the most prescribed drugs and have become a major source of problems. What would be your top concern about prescribing this drug in a clinical setting to a special population such as an elder? How would your personal bias affect your concerns about prescribing this drug?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use of benzodiazepine has to weigh for benefits

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
You have asked a question of great concern and depth.
The benzodiazepines are great drugs for sedation and for reducing anxiety. They are commonly misused mostly by self medication.
The prime concern in elderly population remains the sedation which can lead to falls, aspiration and associated problems like deep venous thrombosis and aspirations pneumonia.
I will balance my bias for prescription of this class of drugs will the possible benefits of improved sleep and control of the anxiety factor.
Risk and benefits have to be matched and I will go for the benefit of the patient provided that it can be procured safely.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.

Follow-up: What would be the top concern in prescribing Benzodiazepines in a clinical setting to a special population such as an elder? 3 hours later
What would be your main concerns over the benefits of benzodiazepine?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 days later
Brief Answer:
full benefit sans adverse effects is the concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.
The main concern on benefits is to find the exact indication of benzodiazepines.
The right candidate is a person with decreased sleep, anxiety or panic disorders to name a few.
The concern is to relieve these symptoms to the maximum extent while avoiding the adverse effects as previously mentioned.
I hope that answers your query.