What would be the front-line non-addictive medication to treat anxiety without serious side effects?

Question

About a week ago, my mother was prescribed xanax at the lowest available dose. The doctor said that as she is in her late sixties, dependency or addiction was not a worry.

However, I wonder if there are not now effective anti-anxiety medications which do not cause addiction, eg. gabapentin. What would be the front-line non-addictive medication to treat anxiety without serious side effects? Her other doctor has said taking xanax at the lowest dose for two weeks should be ok and then slowly she will be weaned off with herbs and lower dosage or doses at longer intervals. Is it really that easy to stop taking this medication? I have heard it is one of the more addictive and wonder why valium was not prescribed which is probably less addictive.

Also, why do people increasingly depend on anti-anxiety medications as they age, it is prescribed more for older patients. Is there a medical explanation or likely only a non-medical one?

Thankyou.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 34 minutes later
Please describe in detail about the medical illness of your mother so that I will be able to guide you better and I will come to know the context in which this medications were advised

Best wishes

Follow-up: What would be the front-line non-addictive medication to treat anxiety without serious side effects? 54 minutes later
Hi Dr. Dash,

I understand the illness mainly to be just anxiety and stress. The other related issue is high blood pressure, currently controlled with atacand and aldactone.

Actually, the medications were suggested some time ago but not taken.

Thankyou.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 20 hours later
Thanks for the feed back
I feel that your mom need take this medications at all and be in touch with a local doctor for the management of blood pressure.
Let me know if you need any other information
Best wishes