What would be the cause of swollen jaw under ear without pain?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
just noticed my right jaw under my ear has begun to pain. I currently have a minor inflamed gum on that side. did eat some crackers and cheese earlier. no major health problems
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be an infection or just block Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. At the offset let me assure you that since the problem is acute and has not much secondary symptoms, it will be a benign problem which will become better in a week or two. By your complaints and the position of swelling I would assume that you may have either have an enlarged salivary gland or a lymph node which would have enlarged either due and infection or just a block. In any case you may do the following: - Drink plenty of warm water and keep yourself well hydrated. -Reduce the amount of salt - Try inducing salivation by taking something citrus like lemon juice or lime if you can tolerate the same. - I would generally also recommend a course of antibiotic like the amox-clav. You doctor will know about this. -I would assume that your sugars are under control. If not, you must bring them under control under the guidance of your treating doctor. -Watch out for other signs of trauma such as a congested tonsil, or oral cavity or a jagged teeth which along with the cracker you ate could have caused the swelling. -apply hot fomentation over the area and see if that helps - maintain a good dental hygiene Wait for a couple of days if the symptoms are in control after trying the above. But if the symptoms are increasing then you must take an xray of the area called the orthopantogram or OPG and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report. You may also need to take a dental consultation. Hope this helps and if you have any more doubts you may ask them get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan