What would be the cause of delayed periods after taking ipill and HPT negative?

Mar 2013
hello dr.. I am very confused as my periods are delayed for more than 10 days. I had my periods on 18th of october and i took an ipill on 24th of october.,, i usually get my periods 6 days earlier. , but as yet no periods. I took the blood test for pregnancy on 19th November and the result was negative and i did a home preg test on 24th and the result is negative.. wHY AM I NOT GETTING MY PERIODS?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: I PILL CAUSES DELAYED CYCLES, WAIT IT OUT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for your health concern. The most probably reason for your delayed period this time - the I pill . The I pill is known for delaying your normal period, or preponing it. It might push it back by a week or ten days also. According to me, that is the most probable reason. Other reasons common in women are - anxiety, stress, recent weight gain, change in the pattern of diet or sleep, ingestion of hormonal medications etc. Of course, gynecological conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometrial hyperplasia etc - can cause delayed cycles, as can hormonal imbalances in thyroid or prolactin levels. These are conditions that need to be excluded if missed / delayed periods are the norm. As this has happened only once ( please clarify if this isn't so ) - please wait for a week more. You should have your period by then , if I pill was the reason behind the delay. In case you fail to menstruate after a week, please schedule a gynecological consultation to rule out other causes - an internal check up ( per vaginum and per speculum ), pelvic ultrasound scan, FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin level estimations - these should be then done ). All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.