What would be considered a low platelet count in numbers? Can it be caused when having mono?

Question
What would be considered a low platelet count in numbers? Can it be caused when you have mono? Would you consider 130,000 a low platelet count in a young male adult of 26 yrs. old and who has had mononucleosis for the past two months. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

A normal platelet count in a healthy individual is between 150,000 and 450,000, so 130,000 is a low platelet count.

Mononucleosis should have nothing to do with your platelet count.

However, some people will have statistically abnormal platelet counts while having no demonstrable abnormality and if it is very close to normal, like in your case, the likelihood of an abnormality being present is much lower.

At the moment I would not worry, but the best thing would be to repeat the blood test after a while.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: What would be considered a low platelet count in numbers? Can it be caused when having mono? 10 minutes later
Could mono last more than a few months ?? Is the best treatment for it just rest or do you have any other recommendations. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

Normal function should return after 4-6 weeks; however, fatigue may linger for 2 to 3 months, and just afterwards you fully recover pre-disease activity levels.

The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms, so please let me know which kind of symptoms you still have.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: What would be considered a low platelet count in numbers? Can it be caused when having mono? 4 days later
My son has been feeling a bit better the past few days, his symptoms are lessening becoming less tired but this has only occurred the past 3 to 4 days. When would be the best time to resume physical activities such as working out at the gym, playing tennis, etc.. Thanks so much for your information.

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

After the recovery period, which is close to the end as you have described his status, your son is recommended to keep away from sports activities for at least three weeks up to a few months, so as to not exhaust himself.

My advice is to keep him away from physical activities such as working out at the gym, playing tennis, etc until the end of next month, and then to resume this kind of activity step by step, starting slowly and increasing progressively the intensity of the activity.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD