What will happen if I mix rocephin and xylocaine 1% with epinephrine?

If you mix rocephin with xylocaine 1% with epinephrine what will happen?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: See detail answer Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Usually Rocephin injections can be mixed with Xylocaine 1% without Adrenaline, when it is to be given intramuscular. This is done to reduce the pain. Adrenaline is usually in concentration of 1: 200,000 with 1% Xylocaine. As a rule we should not give Adrenaline unnecessarily. It is used during dental procedure along with Xylocaine to reduce bleeding and to prolong the effect of Xylocaine. With Rocephin, if it is given by mistake, in a healthy individual, who has no cardiac disease, or allergy, there should not be any problem, first because it is in very small concentration, and it is given in Big gluteal muscle, where absorption of medicine is relatively low, and as it is far from heart, time to reach to heart is more. As a rule, though I should clarify that, with Adrenaline and Lidocaine Injection, there is always a warning . We should give these injections only if benefits are more then adverse effects, and we are equipped with all emergency measures to tackle any adverse effects . Main adverse effects of Adrenaline could be irregular or fast heart beat, Dizziness, sweating, increase in BP etc. Patient is not allowed to drive. Efficacy of Intramuscular Rocefin will also would be less, due to less absorption by surrounding blood vessels. Adrenaline has vasoconstriction effects on the surrounding vessels. I hope you got your answer. You are welcome for any further query.