What type of infection you will get from chewing of a slipper?

Feb 2013

My 1 year old daughter was chewing on a slipper I use to walk outside. Is there a risk of serious infection by doing this ? The slipper was intact and she had not bit any parts of it off when I checked afterwards. Thanks
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 days later
Brief Answer:
No risk of serious infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The common infection that will occur with the bite of slipper is gut infection known as gastroenteritis which will present with vomitings, stomach pain, fever, and loose stools.

This infection is not a serious infection and it is easily managed by supportive medication.

Just observe for these symptoms and if the child develops any symptom, then consult her pediatrician for medication to treat the condition symptomatically.

As the slipper was intact, there is no chance of the pieces of slipper going into her stomach, so nothing to worry.

And there is no risk of getting serious infection or any long term problem by this act of child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.