What type of doctor should I consult for swelling near knee cap?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What doctor speciality do I need for the following condition? I have a swelling on my leg next to my kneecap (inside of leg). 6 weeks. About 3 inches in width. Approximately 2 inches in depth. Full of blood. Almost no pain except for skin streaching. General physician recommended ice paks & elevation. Didn't help. Tissue inside of swelling seems to be hardening. What type of doctor should I look for -speciality?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to consult an Orthopedic surgeon Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on your description, I suspect that the blood clot (HEMATOMA) might have resulted to injury/trauma. An Xray of the involved area is necessary to rule out any bony injury inside. Generally, these hematoma's will resolve spontaneously within 2-3 weeks without any issues. But in Diabetic patients, they tend to get infected and leads to certain problems. If the Hematoma is large enough to cause restriction of knee movements along with pain, then it needs surgical drainage. The general treatment guidelines for a Hematoma are as follows - - Protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or splint - Rest the injured joint . Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours. - Ice packing the painful area for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Use simple analgesics preparations as needed. So, I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic surgeon in your locality for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards